Faith

11 February 2011

First meeting

So if you know me, you've probably heard about the first time I met Michael, or you were there.  So feel free to skip reading if you want to. Now, my memory is slightly sketchy, given that this was of course 13 years ago.

September 25, 1997

The day started like any other day, got dressed, caught the bus, went to school.  I have no clue what my classes were, I know I had Orchestra towards the end of the day, and Mr. Hair's class was later in the day too I think.  I can't even remember what I wore that day, but I'm sure it was probably jeans, a t-shirt of some sort, possibly a flannel jacket, and maybe my boots?  Who knows.  I didn't do anything special that day I'm sure, I never really wore make-up or did my hair special or anything.  I always had it short then.

Lunch was during 5th period.  We had 3 lunches.  Don't ask me which one I had, I just knew I had it with Jen, she was in my class, I think it was science, who knows.  I didn't pay much attention. I knew everything being taught already.  Jen and I mostly just passed notes.  Now that I think about it, I think we had 2nd lunch.  Anyways, we had gotten our food, and were sitting down, towards the back of the cafeteria, but not all the way back, don't remember why, I know other years that was our designated "spot", the back row of the cafeteria.  I was sitting, facing Jen and Jen, and there were other people there too, friends, but honestly I don't remember who else was there.  Michael came in, and stopped at our table to talk for a minute.  I remember exactly what he was wearing.  So very Mikey.  He was wearing his moccasins, with green soccer socks.  He was wearing jean shorts, and his green alien shirt that says "mean humans suck".  He still has that shirt.  His clothing of course was weird to me.  He definitely has his own sense of style, but he was still the cutest boy I had ever seen.  He beat out any other boy I had seen, all my "real" boy crushes, and even all my "celebrity" crushes.  I noticed his lips, and then his eyes.  I still get lost in those eyes.  They are beautiful, usually a greyish green color, with flecks of gold and brown in them.  Michael is also one of those guys who pulls off long hair wonderfully.  I was jealous of his hair, pulled back in a ponytail, thick, a sandy brown color, with some curls were out around his face and ears.  I don't believe in love at first sight, but I was definitely taken.

I felt so insecure, like a child, sitting next to this man next to me, this really cute, really sexy man.  I was so nervous, sitting there.  The Jens introduced us, and I think I said hi, I don't know.  I just remember sneaking glances at him.  Who knows if I even at my lunch.  I think I talked to him more, in on the conversation going on.  I learned he was on the swim team, boy did that lead to images in my head that were inappropriate!

Too soon he left, and lunch was over.  Jen and I went back to class, sitting in the back, passing notes back and forth.  Jen mentioned Michael was single.  I told her I thought he was cute.  I spent most of the day daydreaming about him.

September 26, 1997

The next day, again, nothing special, although I think I put a little more thought into what I would wear, on the off chance I'd get to see Mikey again.  I remember wondering if he'd come sit with us at lunch again (it was many years later I learned he went to all the lunches as he skipped 5th period altogether).  He did of course.  We talked a little more for lunch, and he stayed a little longer.  I gave him my huge hershey bar, since I didn't know that he didn't like chocolate yet.  I kept the cover of the bar.  Michael told me he kept the bar in his refrigerator for awhile,  until one of his sisters ate it. I don't remember who it was that said it, one of the Jens, but at some point I remember, in the pleasant, small talk, "you two should date" rang out.  I think, no, I know I blushed.  We both said okay, and we were made to hold hands while Jen declared us dating.  We hugged goodbye when the bell rang and we knew I had to get to class.

It was a good day, one of my top ten.  That day changed my life.  I started dating the man I would eventually call husband, even if I didn't know it.  He has changed my life, for the better.  We've gone through so much, but we've done it together.

No comments:

Post a Comment