Faith

26 July 2011

My conservative stance


I am a Republican.  I'm proud to be, I like the ideals that most (notice I didn't say all) of them stand for.

Taking from the GOP website itself, I'll address the issues, and explain what my personal opinion is.

1. National Defense-I'm not a fan of war, especially since it tends to take my husband away from me, however I am a supporter of a strong military force, putting money into the defense of our nation, and not backing down if a threat arises (ie we're attacked).  

2. Health Care-the website itself doesn't give a solution, and I have a feeling that's because there are many ideas out there to help fix the healthcare solution.  Government run healthcare is not a common sense solution to health care.  Our country is bankrupt, adding to it by making the country pay for everyone's healthcare is ludicrous.  I believe in a free market.  I think that if we had torn down state borders for insurance companies, and put doctor's/offices themselves as competition we may have seen prices for procedures go down and health insurance itself improve.  However we need to remember that some of those high tech machines cost a lot of money and experience to run and so we can't expect everything for free.  However, if doctors offices had to compete with each other, and insurance companies also with them, for those people who would pay out of pocket for services, prices would go down to be competitive.  Happens every time.

3. Energy issues.  I think the entire country can agree that oil is not the best source of energy, not only is it finite, but it can cause many problems, however, at the moment that IS the only main energy source we have.  To put restrictions on the drilling of oil is insane when we have no alternative sources.  We should be looking for other solutions of course, but I support oil drilling until those other solutions can be found.  I do have hope that one day we can remove ourselves from oil dependency, but until that day we should invest in what we have.  Not only will using our own oil lessen our dependency on the east, but it will lower gas prices, which I'm sure would make a lot of Americans feel better.

4. Schools.  Republicans support parental choice in schools.  I also support parental choice, however I think the public school system needs a major overhaul.  I think that all schools should be encouraged to do better than they have in the past, and that all students and teachers should be held accountable.  I think that homeschooling in every state should be supported, and be seen as a valid alternative choice for schooling.

5. Economy.  This is always a fun subject.  I'm spot on with the GOP.  A free market works.  It really does.  The economy is failing because the government has slowly been tearing away at the free market system, however, during the Reaganadministration, when the free market had its chance to flourish, it did. Yes, some regulations are needed, just like some laws, and some rules should always apply for things to be orderly but business should not be stifled by over-bearing regulations that put them out of business. I believe in lower taxes, and I believe in a straight across the board tax.  I think we should abolish tax brackets altogether.  Obviously, if we're all paying the same percentage of tax, those of us who make less will pay less, and those of us who pay more will pay more.  I also do not support most tax incentives or tax breaks.  I don't think the government should be allowed to use those to encourage behavior.

6. Courts. I believe in this branch of the government as professionals who are trained to know and be able to interpret the law, but not to make up their own laws as some have in the past and decide that what is in the constitution doesn't actually count because they personally disagree with it.



As a republican I believe in the right to pursue happiness; I do not believe that you have the right to happiness, you have the right to work hard to get there. It's not your right to be handed everything just because you were born.  You don't have the right to health insurance, a house, or money to pay your bills with.  Those are not basic human rights; your basic human rights are said best in the bill of rights.  Last time I checked, it said nothing about your right to receive a welfare check, or that the government has to take care of you.  The government should be there to protect us as citizens and guarantee us our rights.

I believe that all people should have a choice on who they marry, where they want to live, where they want to send (or not send) their children to school, how they want to parent, and to own what they are capable of owning within their budget.  I think the government should not have a say in these things.  

I am a realist however; I know that there are times when the government should step in and make new laws, or regulations (in a perfect world there would be no bad people), but we should still continue to strive to have a small government.  One that does not tell us where and when and how to live.

I honestly could never be a liberal, because I enjoy my rights too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment